Sunday, June 21, 2009

Updates From Broadway

For the very first time, the musical, Bye Bye Birdie, is reviving on Broadway. The original production, which appeared on Broadway 48 years ago, was popular but didn't succeed (only lasting a little over a year) on Broadway. Now, I wonder if the revival will appear dated and very 60's (Having seen the original movie, I know how dated the musical is...at least in the movie). The cast will include John Stamos starring as Albert Peterson and Allie Trimm as Kim MacAfee and, although I've never heard of them, I really hope they can carry a great show and perform it well. Hopefully the rest of the cast, of which I've also never heard of any one of them, can give a stellar performance. But then again, I'm really not the one to ask about any Broadway actors from the history of it all. Well, you never know; maybe a year from now, we will have found out that Bye Bye Birdie won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the show seems very dated. Maybe if they pull a "Hairspray" and emphasize the quirky nostalgia of it all, it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully...maybe the actors will make it look very hip and cool and put their on twist on it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog