Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ten Worst Musicals of All Time (well, in my opinion anyways!)

So maybe you saw my top ten best musicals list (posted about a month ago) and were thinking when you saw it, Man, she only likes popular musicals! Not so, my friends! Here's what I think are the ten worst musicals EVER (number one being the very worst)!




  1. Cats- One word: AWFUL!!!! I mean, normally, I LOVE Andrew Lloyd Webber, but this show has absolutely no storyline, no powerful songs (well, besides the classic, "Memory") and no dialogue, which bugs me the most about this musical!
  2. Carousel- I know, I know, it's Rodgers and Hammerstein; who can hate them? That's partially correct, but honestly, Carousel is a horrible show. Billy, the main character, never learns his lesson and Mr. Snow can get on one's nerves after a while!
  3. The Fantasticks- I know this musical is supposedly a hit; but just like any critic, I HATE this musical! I still can't believe it stayed off-Broadway for over 40 years. The idea of a wall being a character is so stupid too!
  4. Mary Poppins- I've always hated this movie, partly because of the British people. But mainly because every character in the show is constantly pointing out how perfect Mary Poppins is (refer to "Practically Perfect" and you get the picture), which is very unrealistic.
  5. The Lion King- Okay, you can pretty much guess that I hate anytime a Disney movie becomes a Broadway musical. Everything possible is wrong with this show: lame songs, stupid storyline and so much more!
  6. Pippin- So I'm a Stephen Schwartz fan (go Wicked!) But this musical has the weirdest plot and very forgettable music!
  7. Billy Elliot: The Musical- Yeah, I know, call me crazy! But because of all the hype about this musical, I seriously am starting to think this show is quite overrated and no good
  8. Barnum- Anyone ever heard of Christine Pedi from XM Radio's On Broadway? Well, this is a musical she tends to play once in a while. I just don't understand why anyone would make a musical about a circus!
  9. Evita- Pretty much any musical Patti LuPone is in, I instantly hate it! Everything that I've heard from Evita is always either depressing or just plain obnoxious. And again, LuPone makes every musical horrendous!
  10. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat- Okay, so one less Andrew Llyod Webber musical I love. The main problem with this show is that the plot in the musical is totally different from what is true in the Bible. My other issue is how catchy the songs are (why did lyricists and music writers have to do that to us?)

I told you that a lot of my least favorite musicals would be popular shows. But this is my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on Cats being the worst musical ever. I just watched it yesterday, and I slept through Act one out of sheer boredom (that was the first! I watched several musical before CATS). I gave CATS a chance to save itself on the second act, but jee, this play really sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on CATS, absolutely bloody hate the thing. No plot, you hit it spot on and I couldn't agree more. Pippin, the only good song is Corner of the Sky. Never heard Evita...however, I like Joesph, but to each his own I guess. Lion was OKAY, but I don't agree about Disney Musicals. True I've always HATED Marry Poppins, butttt Little Mermaid and of course Beauty and the Beast were FANTASTIC musicals. And now, the last thing that REALLY bugged me was Billy Elliot. Billy Elliot is a fantastic show, and I don't think you should really throw it down before you have a chance to see it. Just because people are making a hype about it! That's means it good! When everyone made a hype about Phantom of the Opera, or Wicked, did you think it was bad? No. So please, see the show, because it really is a life changing event! Other than that, I agree with you, especially on cats.!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog